[kids] kb3cpn's first kid's day

Jim Kocsis kb3cpn@fast.net
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:35:23 -0400

Hello!

Having myself only gained real HF privileges a little over a year ago, I
thought it would be great to be able to share the fun with my 8 year
old.  We talked about what we would do during kid's day for a couple of
weeks prior to the contest.  Andrew seemed to be very excited about it.
When the big day came, however, he initially came down with a bad case
of "mic freight".  To make matters worse, conditions on 20 meters in our
area were not the best.  After about 20 minutes of not being able to
break through the pileups, Andrew quickly became bored.  Out of
desperation, I quickly switched to 10 meters and within a few short
minutes I made our first contact.  I noticed some excitement returning
in Andrew's eyes.  I somehow managed to convince him to take the mic and
put out a CQ.  Within about a minute he had made his first contact on
HF.  From there the fear that had gripped him earlier melted away and he
was hooked.  It reminded me a little of the excitement I felt after
making my first QSO on HF.  Hats off to the Boring ARC!  What a great
idea!  We can't wait till the next Kid's day event!

Here's the log.

Time    Freq.        Call              Name        Age      QTH
Color
1932    28374      kp4dx          Jon            13        CA
blue
1942    28400      k5tdf           Mike          22        AR
green
1943    28400      n3yym         Katie          8          PA
blue
2022    28391      xe1/aa6rx    David         44        MEX      blue
2043    14280      kb0vvt        Rebecca     11        MO        green
2215    28370      w3wj          Bill              53       PA
----
2218    28370      n59x           Brian          15        WI
blue
2222    28370      wd9hcf       Elizabeth     9          IL
blue
2225    28370      kb9qov      Justin           5          IN
blue
2225    28370      kb9qov      Randy         36        IN
purple (2nd op)
2240    28386      n8hvz         Amber        12        MI          blue

Any comments welcome!

73,

kb3cpn

--