[kids] NC1N "Multi/Single" Kids Day

Charlie Ross, NC1N nc1n@arrl.net
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:59:35 -0400

My two sons operated Kids Day using my call sign.

Andy
Age: 9
Location: Massachusetts
Favorite Color: Blue

Kevin
Age: 7
Location: Massachusetts
Favorite Color: Blue

This was one of their first substantial chances to operate, and it was
their first time sending CQ.  They enjoyed it a great deal.

UTC  MHZ CALL   NAME      AGE COLOR     LOCATION      WORKED BY
==== === ====== ========= === ========= ============= ============
2115 14  KB9TFT Krystian  12  Black     La Crosse, WI Andy
2133 14  KB0VVT Rebecca   12  Blue      Raytown, MO   Andy & Kevin
2141 14  KB9TFT Krystian  12  Black     La Crosse, WI Kevin
2157 21  K8EP   Caitlin   11  Blue      Houston, TX   Andy & Kevin
2310 14  W9KCW  Tony      38  Blue      Indiana       Andy & Kevin
2315 14  N9GGZ  Jason     11  Blue      Wisconsin     Andy & Kevin
2320 14  W4LB   Lee       72  Blue      Mobile, AL    Andy & Kevin
2328 14  KB0LGB Ben        8  Blue      Central WI    Andy & Kevin
2335 14  N5ZD   Elizabeth  9  Purple    Louisiana     Andy & Kevin
2345 21  AC7EN  Catherine 14  Blue,     Washington    Andy & Kevin
                               Turquoise
2345 21  KK7RX  Scott     11  Green     Washington    Andy

High Points:
* Andy's grin when W9KCW replied after 5 minutes of CQ'ing
* Both boys' excitement at dinner (2200-2300)
* Seeing KB9TFT's and KB0VVT's pictures on the QRZ web site
   afterwards
* Andy ragchewing with a former Massachusetts resident, who
   used to live in a town that Andy's soccer team has played
   four times

Low Points:
* Teaching the definition of the term "Lid" after:
    * Hearing stations deliberately QRM a 12-year-old girl
    * Having Andy's run frequency stolen by adults who didn't
      ask if the frequency was in use--twice!

Philosophical Moment:
Reflecting that these kids called their first CQ on an FT-1000MP.  I called
my first CQ on a National NCX-3.  When QRM appeared a few kHz down, Andy
turned to me, a little impatiently, and asked, "Can you get rid of that,
please?"  Change the IF bandwidth, kick in the DSP, and it was gone.  By
comparison with what I started with, it was shear magic.

A great time--thanks to BARC for sponsoring it!

--Charlie

Charlie Ross
Amateur Radio Operator NC1N
nc1n@arrl.net