[kids] Kids Day at 2m, :-( in NC

Mark Smith (W4CHL) w4chl@arrl.net
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 11:33:14 -0500

A question for you logging results of Kids Day participation, pardon me but I'm not sure where else I'll get a response !

So my eldest daughter finally showed a bit of interest and joined me in the garage radio room for an hour, only to find no one answering her
calls as suggested of "CQ Kids Day".  We overheard several QSOs during the hour on several area repeaters, shame no one responded to her.   OK, so I was on 2m instead of HF (2m is mentioned in the Kids Day notices), but until I pass element 1 I don't have emission privileges and haven't invested in any HF gear until I get my 5wpm code down pat.  Bet there are a lot of families out there like ours !

It was a coup to get my computer savvy kid to pay attention to Amateur radio at all, hard to keep her interest especially since her grandparents have a cell phone and work cohorts message me all the time on my alpha pager. "So what's the big deal about Amateur Radio ?", she asks.

Any suggestions or experiences on getting local interest in Kids Day on 2m (or perhaps 70cm) since there is a broader audience there for Kids and their elders ?

Cheers, Mark
PS - the advertised url: www.contesting.com/kids is blank for me.  Only by going to contesting.com was I able to get to the logs at lists.contesting.com/kids.

Mark Smith, W4CHL   w4chl@arrl.net  http://www.qsl.net/w4chl

--