[kids] Kids' Day at AA5BT

Derek Wills oo7@pan.as.utexas.edu
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 22:45:45 -0600 (CST)

I rounded up a bunch of kids, only one of whom (Amber) had done Kids'
Day before.   Amber's two school friends Moira and Marissa came along
to help out, and these three hung around for about 5 hours with only
a couple of breaks (during which we practised Morse Code, naturally).
Two people from work brought kids along for a while, and Pete N5TR
brought his daughter Sarafina and two of her friends by as well. Nearly
everyone's favorite color seemed to be blue this time.

We worked people all over the US (the girls got excited when someone
called in using India for phonetics for the last letter, they thought
we had reached VU).   Thanks to all who who called in, with or without
kids - on 10m there were some good solid signals and we had long QSOs
with people who were very patient with the girls, answering all their
questions, listening to their silly jokes etc.   I think we broke some
FCC rules when the girls sang their favorite song to someone, and I'm
not sure that we identified every 10 mins during the longer QSOs.  The
ops emitted a few CQs with the three of them calling in synchronism,
which was pretty funny.

I found out later we had been spotted on a cluster, I think that's the
first time my call has been posted in a decade and a half of operating.
Many thanks to KW4DA, K7EMT, KR7RK, KT1J, NU3S, W6DXO, KB6HCN, K3FBI/7,
N8OH, WA8ZHN, W7CCY, K4AIM, N7MI, WB8DEG and WB2QMY for the fun, and
sorry for any busted calls and names.

We operated from the Univ of TX ham club shack (N5XU, ex-W5EHM) and it
was one of the few times when I was glad there is a microphone there.

I think Kids' Day is one of the best things to have happened in amateur
radio in recent years, and I know three girls who are going to want to
do the next one in June.

See you again then,

Derek aa5bt

--