[Kids] kids in N. VA, DC and MD

Howard Parks ab9fh at arrl.net
Sun Jun 22 00:45:30 EDT 2008

Jonathan was NX9T I think .. the hockey player!  We heard him loud and
clear, and at least one our kids was able to exchange info with him.
Also, Kathleen and Liz (lollipop ice cream zebra) with W5 Apple Pie in
Texas.

Our logging was inadequate, and I don't think we remembered to collect
contact information for a single kid who dropped by so we won't be
able to send them the certificate (d'oh)!  However, the ones who made
contacts seemed pretty excited to do so, so I hope that will be
enough.  Next year we'll be better organized.  I want to have a
computer and color printer out there next year.  We'll print out a QSL
card for them on the spot.  That way we don't have to make any parents
nervous about providing addresses and such to strangers.

We were set up at a public place where there were lots of kids.  We
could keep their interest (and their parents patience) only so long.
Many of the people we heard were the opposite: a captive audience.  Of
course, Kids Day being more social than contest, each contact took
time.  So we had to wait while someone, usually an adult, chatted with
each of the 2-3 kids.  When that qso was done, there was a pileup to
break through if we wanted our chance.  If somebody else beat us to
the punch more than once, we'd usually lose our kid without them ever
making the contact.   I am sure having the pile-up was exciting for
those who were at the bottom of it. For our selfish purposes, I wish
more folks had been calling CQ.

Howard AB9FH

<SNIP>