[Kids] Kids' Day lack of contacts

Robert Garland robert at jtan.com
Sun Jun 19 16:51:31 PDT 2011

For a long time, I have been trying to get my local club to set up a demo station in a
public place for Kids Day.  No luck.  I can't even get enough support to do it myself
with another op to act as station security for those inevitable times when the control
op needs to find the room with the porcelain plumbing fixtures.

One of the best ways to handle this is for a lot of clubs to get involved, set up in
public places with high foot traffic, and have VHF and UHF links set up between the club
demo stations to make contacts possible when HF conditions are poor.  Most of the
younger kids don't know the difference between talking from Philadelphia to Baltimore,
or all the way across the country, or half way around the world.  From my middle school
substitute teaching experience, I think the same could be said of the 12- to 14-year-old
kids as well.

Robert Garland, NX3S