[Mldxcc] WriteLog v10, Windows 2000 and USERPORT.ZIP Freeware

Rick Tavan tavan at tibco.com
Mon Mar 15 23:38:21 EST 2004

Gee, Ron, I didn't think it was such a big deal. One of my motivations
for switching from tr to WriteLog was to get away from the hassle of
dual boot. I use Win 2000 Pro now for everything and never have to
reboot in order to run a contest or submit a log or to switch back and
forth between casual contesting and general computer use. I got userport
up and running in about ten minutes (including locating it on the Web,
downloading, installing and configuring) and I key my radios from the
LPT port. The only problem is some slight choppiness on the generated CW
when the CPU is busy with network I/O. It was tolerable even during the
spotting onslaught of last year's SS. I don't hesitate to recommend it.

Other people have had success keying via the serial port, allegedly
using the same port they use for rig control. I can't vouch for that
because I haven't tried it but it sounds neat - you wouldn't even need
userport if you can make that work. I suspect it requires a real serial
port, though, not a USB emulation.

73,

/Rick N6XI