[Mldxcc] [The Daily DX] 3Y0X - PETER I DXPEDITION - The Daily DX

Dick Wilson k6lrn at arrl.net
Sun Nov 13 20:53:42 EST 2005

                           PRESS RELEASE  2006-4
                                  UPDATE
                         Peter I DXpedition- 3YOX

For Immediate Release

November 13, 2005

From: Ralph, KOIR and Bob, K4UEE
            Peter I DXpedition co-leaders

      Since our last announcement much has been accomplished toward our
goal of activating Peter I early next year.

      In September, fourteen of the team met for four days in Atlanta to
practice erecting the arctic shelters, the low band antennas, check out
the generators and other critical equipment and to begin packing the
crates for shipment.  In addition, a total of ten hours were spent in
classrooms discussing safety, offloading procedures and priorities,
fundraising, recruiting, our current budget and the status of our vessel
and helicopter arrangements.  There was also time for team bonding, as we
assimilated three new team members: FM5CD, N6JRL and W8MV.

      During the month of October, we received the great news that Gary
Stouder, K9SG, our team physician from the 2005 team would be able to
join us again.  Also, Al Hernandez, K3VN, a veteran of many Antarctic
DXpeditions and an old friend has joined the team.  We are pleased to
have them both and they bring our number to twenty men.  We have room for
two more operators and as many as four "other" travelers who may want to
go along, set foot on the island, help with the camp set-up, enjoy the
travel experience, but not actually be part of the operating team.  They
would remain on the vessel. Contact Bob, K4UEE at mallphin at aol.com if you
have an interest in either opportunity.

     Our 40 foot shipping container has been packed and is now on it's way
to Chile. After returning from South America earlier this year, we
completely unpacked everything, sorted, prioritized all of our equipment
and then repacked.  It was a huge job, but it will be worth the effort
when we arrive at Peter I. The container contains exactly 11 tons of
equipment, and personal gear.

         Our contract calls for 16 days at Peter I.  The weather will
dictate our actual schedule, but we are projecting that we will be 12-14
days on the air.  We have developed a quick strike plan that will enable
two stations on the air quickly even if we have weather conditions that
prevent the entire camp from being constructed immediately.  Ultimately,
we plan to have nine stations on the air and a complement of 23 antennas.
This doesn't include the recent decision to make a real effort on 6m, 2m
and 70cm EME.

       For the first time, we can give approximate dates of our operation.
The team will assemble in Punta Arenas on January 29th and shortly
afterward, fly to the Chilean Naval Base on King George Island, South
Shetland Islands.  We will board our vessel there and sail to Peter I.
We expect to have two stations on the air from the vessel operating..
/MM.  We hope to arrive at Peter I around February 6th to begin our16 day
stay.  Please remember that these dates are approximate and depend on
many variables including, of course, the weather and sea ice conditions.

       One of our goals is to do what we can to help the DX community feel
a part of this 3Y0X experience.  We're going to be enjoying a once in a
lifetime adventure, and although it will at times be tough and maybe a
little scary, the adventure is something that motivates every member of
our team.  We want you, the DX community, to enjoy more than just a QSO
or two, but to be able to live this adventure along with us.  In an
effort to do that, we are planning daily updates from the island along
with photographs of what we are experiencing.  In addition, through the
technology of Iridium Satellite, we are hoping to provide periodic videos
from the island as well.  It seems to us that through video you can
experience so much more.

         This may be the most expensive DXpedition ever.   We solicit your
support! Please check out the Peter I website, www.peterone.com and catch
up on the news.  There are many pictures of our recent training session
in Atlanta and of the container packing and shipping.  Also, if you want
to be a part of the adventure by contributing financially, click on one
of the yellow "Contribute" buttons.

        QSL via N2OO !

73,
Ralph, KOIR and Bob, K4UEE
Peter I DXpedition co-leaders

Bernie McClenny, W3UR

Now more than ever - you need The Daily DX and The Weekly DX - to keep up
with the DX news from around the globe!

Editor of - The Daily DX <-- two free weeks http://www.dailydx.com/order.htm
           - The Weekly DX <-- free sample
http://www.dailydx.com/weekly2.html