[Mldxcc] Preliminary MLDXCC FD Results

Jim Venneman wx6v at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 24 22:11:43 EDT 2007

Greetings,

  Well - I would have to say that this was probably one of the most pleasant Field Days I have ever had the pleasure to participate in. The weather was almost perfect (a little on the chilly side at night) and the band conditions seemed to be pretty good. Or - was it the fact that we had our 4-element 20-meter beam sitting at 60' instead of 20'? A mighty pretty site - I have to say. There was also Jack's new 15-meter monobander that played very well. Since we have been using the same core group for a number of years now, set up and tear down went very efficiently, since everyone knew what needed to be done without being told and just got to it.

  So - how did we do? As you probably know, we were operating in Class 1A this year for the first time. We noted that last year's winning entry in that class had around 1,500 QSOs, so that was our goal for the weekend. By the time the closing bell sounded this morning, we had 1,690 QSOs in the log! About 1,050 of those were on 20 meters, with an approximate split of 60% cw and 40% phone. I'll work up the final score later this week and post it here. Suffice it to say that we are pretty excited about the results.

  I would like to give a hearty thanks to our operating team, which consisted of (in no particular order), Jack, KF6T, Carl, AI6V, Rick, N6RK, Dick, K6LRN, and Jim, WX6V. Thanks also to Dave, WB6GEF for providing the electric power as well as a wide variety of other supporting equipment, and Carolyn, K6TKD for her help in setting up/tearing down and just generally providing moral support for us guys. I also would like to give my heartfelt thanks to Jack, KF6T, for providing the energy and enthusiasm for planning that I was lacking this year due to my health issues. It was also Jack that devised our operating strategy (which worked great - albeit with a few minor people-related rust spots here and there) as well as the computer network that supported our plan. We will discuss the details of how our our operating strategy actually worked at a future club meeting (probably in August) as well as present some pictures of our weekend.

  See y'all at our joint club meeting in two weeks.

  Jim  -WX6V-