[Mldxcc] VHF/UHF contesting - 903 Mhz

Rick, W6RKC ab1u at volcano.net
Tue Dec 2 02:18:48 EST 2008

Question for the VHF/UHF contesters:

I had a lot of fun back in the September ARRL VHF contest with a
rudimentary setup for 6, 2 & 432. During the contest, a number of
people were QSYing to the 33 CM band.

They appear to be using converted FM commercial 900 mhz radios.

If anyone has used such units in a contest, can you please tell me
the make and model of  these radios? Availability?

I assume, unlike the old Motorola Motrac units I used to convert for
2 meter packet by changing the crystals and repeaking, these require
some type of computer interface to reprogram. If so, they may also
require proprietary software.

I am trying to get an inexpensive way to make a few contacts on 903
during a contest. I have SSB Electronic transverters here for 902,
1296 and 2304 but looking at the contest scores, activity is so
limited here it is not worth the bother to hook them up.

A cheap, converted commercial FM unit might be fun though.

Thanks,

Rick, W6RKC