[Mldxcc] Coax Crimp tools

Richard Hill rehill at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 4 11:09:07 EDT 2008

Happy 4th everyone!

With station improvement season here, I'm considering a transition from
soldering coax connectors to criming them.  I'm interested in suggestions
for crimp tools and any suggestions you may have.

As background, I started out soldering with my 15 and 25 watt electric
irons, and then discovered the joy of using a gas powered iron.  The gas
iron works much better, but I still melt some of the insulation.  I'm now
thinking crimping probably makes a better connection and may be more
convienient.  I'm currently using LMR-400 and Davis BuryFlex, and
eliminating some novice choice RG8 and RG58. My runs are currently short,
less than 100 feet, but I'm also looking ahead.

I'm considering:

RF Parts, RFA-4005 Kit with 2 dies and case, $99 sale price, ratchet action,
tool releases when crimp is complete.
http://www.rfparts.com/coax_accessories.html  (Tool alone is $44, each die
costs $25.

High Sierra's crimp tool, $50, comes with 2 dies, Ratchet action,
Introductory price.  http://cq73.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=115