[Mldxcc] Field Day Preparations

Jim Venneman wx6v at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 26 15:57:20 EDT 2008

Hi Folks,

Well - now that WPX CW contest is history, I am ready to begin Field Day preparations in earnest. The event is only 5 weeks away (June 27-29). Ready to defend and/or improve on our 3rd place nationwide finish in Class 1A last year? That was a pretty good result considering that we pretty much stumbled our way through the entire weekend last year.

At this point, it looks like another class 1A operation this year unless 7-8 more operators step up to participate. So far, the following guys have indicated that they will be at FD this year - Jeff, WK6I; Rich, WC6H; Norm, WA6SJQ; Jack, KF6T; and myself. That's 5 so far - about 7 more and we can start "considering" class 2A in order to justify the exponential increase in planning and setup (from 2 stations and antennas to 4 plus op scheduling).

Anyone else? Please drop a line and let me know.

>From a rig standpoint, Jeff indicated that he will be bringing up his K3 to FD. Exciting news - since I for one am looking forward to checking out the radio that many were talking about at Visalia this year. Seems that this radio has about the best receiver available today.

Does anyone know anybody that operates on satellites? This is a big 100 point bonus that we miss every year because we just don't have anyone in the club that operates on these things. So - the objective this week is to pin down who's coming so that I can send out the planning list spreadsheet and fill in the gaps.

By the way - if you weren't on for the WPX contest, conditions were noticeably improved over last year. Even 10 meters showed some life and 15 was pretty decent. This bodes well for conditions on FD weekend.

73s,

Jim  -WX6V-
MLDXCC Field Day Coordinator