[Mldxcc] NU6T WPX SSB

Richard Hill rehill at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 30 15:44:04 PDT 2010

NU6T @ NU6T
Operator Category : SINGLE-OP-ASSISTED
Band : ALL
Power : LOW
Mode : SSB
Overlay Category : TB-WIRES

ARRL Section : SV
Club/Team : Mother Lode DX/Contest Club
Software : N1MM Logger V10.3.5

Band    QSOs    Pts  WPX
3.5         77          140   54
7            24            57   15
14          53            85   39
21          57          103   31
28            4              9     3

Total     215        394  142

Score : 55,948
Rig :  K3
Antennas :  80m dipole, 10-40m vertical

Soapbox :  Part time 10 hour effort.  First contest with my K3.  I spent
a fair amount of time adjusting the radio.  Still have not figured out
the PTT connections to make the N1MM/K3/uKeyer II/computer DVK system
work properly.  Ran the whole contest on VOX for the first time, and
really like the K3 VOX system.  Got the monitor working, and discovered
my DVK was horrible.  Adjusted mic gain and compression, cleaned it up,
and rate improved.  Go figure.

My score was good for my station for the hours in the contest.  However,
I've never been so frustrated at not being able to contact stations I
could hear...I could hear lots of Europeans for once, stations I never
heard before.  Made contacts with 20 zones.

(OK, might have something to do with propagation, but at least part was
the K3.   I listened on my IC-746, and just could not hear many of the
stations I hear on the K3).  The K3 is more sensitive to RF and I need
to add more ferrites, and fix/replace the shack computer.  I seem to
have a USB port problem.  Good shakedown.  Lots of work to do in the
shack, and then on to antenna improvements.  SS is not so far away.

I had a number of stations, in the west and in the east, tell me I had a
big signal.  Huh?  Me?  Must have been weird propagation.  Ran barefoot
to a multi-band vertical or 80m dipole.

Most fun contact:  K6VVA on phone.  <grin>.

Rich
NU6T