[Mldxcc] Club tax exempt status web site

Jim Venneman wx6v at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 23 15:29:36 PDT 2010

OK - I've been researching this off an on for a while and here's the deal.

MLDXCC automatically qualified as a Section 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization
because it has always had gross receipts of less than $5,000 annually and was
involved in the types of activities that qualified as tax-exempt. From what I
have gleaned from e-mail messages on this subject going around, it appears that
no exempt status form was ever filed with the IRS. That is probably why our club
does not appear as one of the 1,162 tax exempt organizations in California that
could lose its tax exempt status.

In 2006, a new tax law was passed requiring tax exempt entities, even those with
less than $5,000 of annual gross receipts, to file an annual information form -
Form 990-N, commonly known as the e-postcard. The law stated that organizations
failing to file these forms for 3 consecutive years, beginning for tax year
2007, would lose their tax exempt status and be required to file annual tax
returns and pay taxes. Tax exempt status could be restored by filing Form 1023
and paying the required "User Fee."

The IRS sent this information out to all tax exempt entities that were in its
system. Realizing that the revocation issue was not widely known, the IRS
instituted an amnesty period for small organizations to file the required Form
990-N. Unfortunately, the amnesty period expired on October 15 of this year.

As mentioned above, in order to be reinstated as a tax exempt organization, Form
1023 must be prepared. A LOT of information is required and the minimum fee is
$400. After that, we go back to filing the Form 990-N every year.

Conclusion - paying a $400 fee for our club is an onerous requirement. I believe
that the club's gross receipts are less than $1,000 per year [please correct me
if I'm wrong]. So, even if we filed a tax return for the club, the automatic
$1,000 deduction available on the required tax form would wipe out any possible
"profits" that may exist. In other words, there would be no taxes due, not now
or for any year in the past.

Our club is well under the radar of the IRS. Due to the miniscule amount of
funds that our club deals with every year, it is likely to remain so. Unless
someone is taking a tax deduction on their income tax return for dues payments
to MLDXCC as a charitable donation, MLDXCC does not exist for tax purposes.

So - those are the facts as I see them. The club officers can decide what to do
next. If you want me to do more research on this subject or offer advice,
please let me know. I'll keep looking around to see if there is anything else of
importance regarding this topic. If so, I'll post it here.

Jim  -WX6V-