[Mldxcc] K6O (op K6OK @ W6SR) SS SSB HP Unlim

K6OK jvarn359 at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 17 21:35:00 EST 2013

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6O
Operator(s): K6OK
Station: W6SR

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SV
Operating Time (hrs): 9.7

------------
  160:
   80:   67
   40:   81
   20:   98
   15:   61
   10:   49
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Yikes, Murphy didn't strike but the Keystone Kops (that'd be me) did. Two
QLFs cost me dozens of QSO's and lots of points. As a guest op at W6SR's
fine station, I arrived an hour early to get things set up. With 20 minutes
to go I start tuning around and I'm thinking, wow, there are a lot of
stations practicing! Contest starts at 2pm local right... what? it started
at 1pm? That embarrassing boo-boo cost me 48 minutes. Next, while tuning
around 10 meters the band is quiet and signals are muted. Obviously the
band is in poor shape so I elect to start with 15 meters. Checking in on 10
meters again, I notice an antenna switch is mapping 10m to a 6-meter yagi.
I flip it and 10m comes alive with signals...

Learned my lesson the hard way: Always double-check the contest start time
well _before_ planning your contest day. Always thoroughly check all
equipment settings _before_ start time.

The fun outweighed my early QLFs when I enjoyed a 43 minute run on 20
meters and five shorter runs on other bands. A steady stream of callers is
great, great fun and it's such a treat for me to enjoy running because I
really can't at my home small lot micro-station. I'm also quite happy to
have worked 80 sections in 9.7 hours (missed PR, NL, and DE).

Many thanks to Rick W6SR for his hospitality; for his sage advice; and for
allowing me the privilege of using his comfortable and easy to use station
for a day.  73 Jim K6OK