[Mldxcc] CQWW

Robert Hess w1rh at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 20 18:58:56 EST 2013

Hey there, MLDXCC'ers, especially you phone-only operators,

I wanted to mention that the CQWW CW contest is this weekend.  We do enter it every year.  No chance of wining it because there's only one category for clubs and the big East-Coast clubs always win this one.  Nevertheless, we always try to see how far up the list we can make it.

The reason I am sending this to the phone-only guys is that I'm told that Writelog and N1MM have some pretty good CW decoder modules built in.  I haven't tried it in Writelog, but I might play around with one just to see how well it works.

I believe K6OK used one in N1MM for SSCW at W6SR's place.  Those that have tried these CW decoders tell me that it's not much different from working RTTY.  Being able to work high-speed CW DX can certainly increase your country count if you have been a phone-only operator.

Anyway, you might want to check the contest logging software you use and see if there's a CW decoder module included or one you can download.  It will open up a whole new world of fun for you and you get to make a few points for the club too!

Bob