[Mldxcc] CW Decoder for contesting

Bob Leclerc kr6n at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 11:10:31 EDT 2014

  Thanks to Jim K6OK and Rick N6RNO for their presentations on using a CW
decoder for CW contests.   I have been successful using their techniques
with N1MM and CW skimmer, and I wanted to mention a couple things about my
setup.    When I first started my copy of CW Skimmer, it would not decode
until it was first connected to a running CAT interface to a rig.  Then it
ran fine.  Then If I wanted to run the logger as well, I needed to use a
virtual com port bridge.  Rick mentioned that he uses LP-Bridge with his K3.
Turns out LP-Bridge is specific to the k3 and will not work with my Kenwood.
I found LP-Bridge 2 that will work with most other rigs as well as K3's.

Download from  <http://www.telepostinc.com/lpb2.html>
http://www.telepostinc.com/lpb2.html.

Additional set up instructions can be found at  <http://www.n3me.net>
www.n3me.net

Select "How to" then "LP-Bridge"

If I don't want to run CW Skimmer I don't start LP-Bridge and change to rig
control port on N1MM back to the original com port in the configure tab.

I managed 138 Q's in the NAQP CW contest a couple weeks ago.  My first CW
contest.  My copy speed is around 16-18 WPM.  I feel my speed has already
improved a little just being able to participate in the contest.  Long term
goal is 25 wpm without paper.

Again thanks Jim and Rick for the very enjoyable talks and suggestions.

Bob  KR6N