[Mldxcc] FT4TA - West Coast Pilot Comments

Richard Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Oct 31 20:49:29 EDT 2014

Some comments:

Never heard them on 20M except when I worked them at 0235Z long path.
I believe I checked long path previously when not hearing them.  Maybe
they also need to be beaming long path.  At the time I worked them,
they were also audible on short path, but several S units down.  I
do like the fact that long path doesn't go through EU.

They were extremely strong on 17M this morning, but I couldn't bust the
pileup.  As early as 1000Z, they were audible weakly on 17M.

Worked them between 1600 and 1700Z this morning on 10M and 12M.
Decent sigs, but not like 17M.  On 12M, I called them over 30 kHz
above their frequency, just inside the band (24986.6 kHz).

They were very strong on 30M the first night, but were running RTTY.
They were audible weakly during the day working EU on CW.

I also see that I have worked 5R8M on 30 through 10 this week,
but nothing on the low bands.  They were very strong on 30 meters.

I am currently hearing nothing on 3523 at my sunset, while a raging
pileup is
apparently in progress according to spots.  Actually, I am hearing
something on 3523:  "UP".  At least I am tuned to the right frequency.

Some of the ops are going really fast on CW.  When conditions are
marginal, this can subtract several dB.

Rick N6RK