[Mldxcc] We Won the Gavel!

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Wed May 25 13:10:25 EDT 2016

So, because I write the ARRL RTTY Roundup article, I have a little insight.

The current (recently decided) editorial direction for QST is to print
tables of results - top tens, clubs, etc. - photos, and text that doesn't
necessarily speak to results but rather about the contest in general,
conditions, and so on. Going forward you will seldom if ever see anything
about the club awards in the printed version.

I am told this was based on reader response, not anything unilateral.

The online version has no constraints and can go on for pages and pages.

Sweeps is probably unique in that the club competition is split across two
contests, and therefore two writeups done by two authors. Neither author
really owns the club writeup, so therefore that portion was written by the
"Contest Branch".

ARRL is all about participation. I'd like to think that they waxed on for
three paragraphs about PVRC because they were able to get 300 logs
submitted at an average 60K per log, not because of the proximity and
familiarity to HQ. You can form your own conclusions...

That said I think the efforts of the MLDXCC to get 47 logs turned in - our
average was over 84K per log - from our sparsely populated portion of
California/Nevada are no less impressive. I'll write a note to the powers
to that effect.

73 jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com