[Mldxcc] Fw: [3830] CaQP K6C(@W1RH) M/SFixed HP

Robert Hess w1rh at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 21:26:20 EDT 2016

For the 8th year, Martin, AA1ON, traveled here from wherever he happens to be.  Generally, it has been W1, W3, or VR2.
I was sick as a dog starting around mid-day Saturday.  I rarely get colds, but this one really hit me.  We were down 100 Q's from last year and had to shut down for 2 or three hours overnight because I just couldn't do it.
This was the first real serious test for the Flex 6700/Maestro.  Unlike last year, we didn't do any SO2R.  I just wanted to focus on knowing how to operate the Flex equipment.

The pros: The difference in handling noise, compared to the FT-1000MP's is just off the scale.  Filtering also made a big difference and, as a lot of you already know, the panadapter really helps in finding a clear spot to run.
The cons: Used the Maestro on Saturday but too many problems.  Not sure if they are bugs or operator head-space.  Just could not get the vox to work right on SSB and there was no sidetone on CW or monitoring on SSB.  I had to use one of my MP's as a CW monitor.  Also had some other issues where we would get it in a particular mode and had problems figuring out how to get it back.  On Sunday at midnight, I set everything up using Smart SDR.  That is great software.  No problems at all.
K6TLR just came back to the house with lots of Alpine stories.  I gave the guys a mast, generator, FT-857, computer interface, power supply, and a A3S and 40 meter dipole.  The stories these guys have are great.  High winds, very cold, and snow, but they can't wait to do it again....go figure.
BobW1RH

California QSO Party

Call: K6C
Operator(s): W1RH AA1ON
Station: W1RH

Class: M/SFixed HP
QTH: ELDO
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:    10    0
  80:  138    18
  40:  307  181
  20:  347  374
  15:  252  220
  10:    43    20
    6:
    2:
Total:  1097  813  Mults = 56  Total Score = 275,352

Club: Mother Lode DX & Contest Club

Comments:

Missed AK (RIP, KL7RA) and MAR.