[Mldxcc] Fwd: NAQP SSB W7RN(WK6I) Single Op LP

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 12:16:13 EDT 2017

North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: W7RN
Operator(s): WK6I
Station: W7RN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: nv
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   10     3
   80:   47    17
   40:  230    47
   20:  601    48
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  888   115  Total Score = 102,120

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team #1

Comments:

Most of the 601 Qs on 20 represent the first 5 hours of the contest. My
strategy at the outset was to work 20 like heck and watch 15 and 10 in case
anything happened there, and maybe try some SO2R if and when something did.
Once 20 played out, take one big break and be ready for the lower bands,
and try to catch that mini opening predicted by k6tu.net for 15 around
0100z.

20 was super productive and super fun, and the callers kept coming for all
of those 5 hours. Then the thunderstorms came up to the south and
obliterated all bands with static. Good time for that break. (And Tom
whipped up a super yummy early supper.)

After the break most of the static had left 20 and continued to be
productive for a bit longer, but the static stayed S9+ on the low bands for
the duration. So I got on 40 and had an almost continuous pileup for over
two hours, but the static made almost every contact a fill-fest.

Thanks to everyone for the contacts and to Tom K5RC for the opportunity, it
was fun to switch modes for a change.

73 jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com