[Mldxcc] Fwd: [narcc] Calif Hands-Free Regulation AB-1785

Rick WA6NHC wa6nhc at comcast.net
Fri Feb 3 16:09:27 EST 2017

After a career of driving large heavy vehicles, with lights and siren to
part the sea of traffic, while operating a radio, while doing scene size
up, while making a plan of action, while ordering more staffing and
equipment to meet that plan, while telling my crew the plan...

Driving and watching while talking is a non-issue to me, even in LA
traffic (I was there last week and survived without incident). I
understand that multitasking ability varies according to the person and
it's not consistent throughout the day (hello adrenaline!).  It's only
when you exceed your ability that it becomes distraction.

If CA continues on this path, soon the driver may as well be automated
since they won't be allowed to speak, drink, eat or listen to anything
BUT drive, by LAW.  I'm a grown adult person, I don't need a nanny and
stupidity such as this poorly written law is one of the reasons I'm
leaving the state for one with some common sense.  I'm frankly as much
or more concerned about the drivers under the influence of drugs, for
which there is no standard or quick field test to demonstrate
intoxication... or a fatigued driver.... or someone that doesn't
understand that the stopping ability of semis or those with trailers is
not what their car can manage (don't cut me off, I'll squish you if it
requires a rapid stop).

If this law stands as written, no more SkyWARN, no more public event
communication, no more RACES or ARES; nothing other than operating from
a fixed position (and NOT even sitting behind a wheel).  No more cabs,
deliveries, trucking and more for the business folks; say goodbye to the
fragile economy.

Bluetooth is an option, but I routinely have three radios on when I'm on
the road and there is no simple way to manage them from one device,
while driving other than reach over and adjust the controls, including a
hand mike.  And after more than 40 years of it, I'm used to it.

I'm more hopeful for the ARRL to step in while we wait for a judge to
throw the law out as too vague and it's a violation of our FEDERAL
licensed ability which is not subject to state control.  But with the
current mindset of the judges here, it may be a LONG wait.  That will
cripple our ability to provide public service, which is part of OUR
mandate for being licensed.

Rick nhc