[Mldxcc] was; Calif Hands-Free Regulation AB-1785

Rick WA6NHC wa6nhc at comcast.net
Sat Feb 4 15:04:53 EST 2017

Growth rate is one of the factors I've been monitoring.  Most urban
areas have a 6%+ growth rate, CA is higher.  The area(s) I'm hoping to
buy are closer to 2%, slow is my choice on purpose, buying acreage also
keeps some of that at bay by sheer space.  I got stung by a road
'enhancement' behind me (allowing more new construction) so now there is
24/7 traffic noise; which clued me into looking at the growth rates.
Water use and replenishment is another concern (MANY areas); I've tried
to look at all aspects of the move (including that I'll have much worse
propagation but that trade off is moose, wolves, deer, elk in the yard
and aurora borealis on occasion for scatter play).  I hate moving; it's
too draining; so this will be my last and I'm spending a lot of time to
make the best choices with as much input as I can muster.

I've been in most of the other states (including HI, AK and much of
Canada); no where is perfect.  But for a state that requires decent
roads for ANY aspect of life (as one example) CA has the worst, period.
The extreme level of immigration (legal or not, including NAFTA drivers)
make CA a deadly place to drive; intoxicants are common and common sense
is rare.  I get that many can't multitask well but adjusting to the
lowest common denominator (as opposed to filtering or punishing) doesn't
make sense (make it harder to get a license, not making a vending
machine mentality; punish the offenders with a reality dose, not a hand
slap).

A study of rats was done many years ago, which proved that crowding and
congestion caused irritability, duh (the rats eventually became
cannibals).  CA has passed that tipping point in most areas (except
north state on the coast or NE corner).  I'll do my part, by leaving.
CA and I will both win; one less occupant for CA and I get less crowding
(no, I prefer eating wildlife, you're safe).

Once you get out of state, drivers are actually tending towards the
polite (moving to the right so you can pass), traffic (while bad to
their standards) is easier and life is... simpler.I too don't miss the
bay area and have my kid visit me here instead of me going there.  City
driving is universally bad, I avoid it as much as I can (my San Diego
trips to visit my other kid skirt the LA basin, I don't go through
there).  City is a four letter word, there's nothing good about them;
just shop for supplies then leave; ASAP.

There are some states that presume personal responsibility rather than
attempting to legislate it; a couple of them exceed my tolerance for
cold (-50F?  I'd use plumber language!); others have high humidity,
frequent high winds (comes from being in a FLAT state, no mountains or
view), dust or other environmental issues. No place is perfect (and I'll
miss fresh exotic produce all year long once I leave).  The places I'm
looking also have a rare quality known as silence (even to my fading
ears)... it's unusual but I sure sleep better having it around.  No
traffic, no humanity noise, just wind, wildlife and rain or snowfall
sounds; with an astounding sense (it's not real, but I'll accept it) of
solitude.

I never get tired of seeing trees and mountains, that's one of the
reasons I moved here.  While I like the Sonoran desert (in winter), I
spent a lifetime in rural hills and communities; the mountains call to
me.  That limits my choices once the other environs are considered.  If
winters get too harsh, I can still take the RV to visit Arizona.  ;-)

Rick