[Mldxcc] [NCCC] Microsoft issues rare security update to patch Windows XP - KB4012598

Steve Dyer w1srd at yahoo.com
Sat May 13 20:51:51 EDT 2017

If you don't connect the computer to a network, it can't get infected (or
updated) or spread any malware.
If it's a logging computer that is stand alone and NOT networked, don't
worry about it. Just wipe the drive it if you sell it/junk it (which you
should do anyhow).
It's also highly unlikely you will catch this over the internet. Most every
router/firewall will block inbound SMB traffic from the internet.
The vulnerability spreads very quickly within an org via their LAN if they
don't have their machines patched.
How does it get there in the first place? Some idiot clicked on a phishing
email and installed the malware.
So, don't click on things that come in emails!
For all the money we spend on cyber security, the wet ware is still the
biggest problem.
That said, this is a serious outbreak and it's not over.
http://thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannacry-ransomware-cyber-attack.html?m=1
The irony is the attackers have only made $29k so far. Not much considering
the chaos involved...
73,
Steve
W1SRD