[Mldxcc] CQ RTTY K6KNS

Dave Sanders eprd2016 at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 25 15:59:13 EDT 2017

Call: K6KNS
Operator(s): K6KNS
Station: K6KNS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Folsom, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

 Band  QSOs  State/Prov  DX  Zones

-----------------------------------

   80:   26      13       2     3

   40:   54      24       6     7

   20:  214      36      37    18

   15:  118      23      24    20

   10:    2       1       1     1
-----------------------------------
Total:  414      97      70    49  Total Score = 154,872

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I lost enthusiasm on Friday night working 40 and 80 meters. My 40/80 inverted V
picks up local ‘noise’ as expected in my residential neighborhood so I knew
decoding would be challenging. Friday night, there was hardly any noise so I was
happy but I wasn’t being heard except very close stations. I run barefoot
(200w) on the V but I noticed I was only putting out 25 watts!  I checked
everything (I thought) but no resolve.

Late Sat afternoon, I rechecked radio settings and laughed at myself. Turns out
I had the Carrier set to zero!  Once I set it correctly, I was making contacts.
One I didn’t expect was CR3W (Madeira Island) on 40M.  My enthusiasm quickly
came back.

Where were all the Aussies? I only logged ZL.

Kenwood TS-990S / ASL-600 / Hex beam / 40-80 inverted V