[na-user] Important Clue

dap14@chrysler.com dap14@chrysler.com
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:40:35 -0400

     The report from Bob, N4BP attributing the missing keystrokes to the
     Yaesu CAT interface is an important clue to solving this problem.

     With most radios, each burst of data from the radio is terminated with
     a unique character.  This makes it easy for NA to simply monitor what
     is received from the radio, and when it gets the unique character, go
     check the COM buffer and decode what the radio sent.  Yaesu is
     different - it has no termination character, so NA has to "count
     characters" and when a certain number are received, then go check the
     COM buffer and decode what is sent.  Either approach SHOULD work
     satisfactorily, although Yaesu's is definitely inferior.  What's
     important is that the routine decoding a Yaesu radio is different and
     separate from the routine used for any other radio.  This routine
     should not have any interaction with the keyboard, so I'm at a loss to
     immediately explain the problem, but armed with this knowledge, at
     least I know where to go look.

     I would expect that this problem effects Yaesu radios only, but all
     Yaesus (not just the FT1000MP).

     Once we know where the problem is, a solution cannot be too far away.

     73, Dave/K8CC