[na-user] Import NA contest files to DX Log

David A. Pruett David A. Pruett" <k8cc@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:25:35 -0500

K3ANS wrote:

>I want to import the contest log from the PA QSO Party using NA 10.34 to
>my normal logging program DX Log.  DX Log is from PAYL Software, authored
>by K3PA, Drew Smith.  Drew states that K8CC of NA refuses to give him the
>file data so that he can write or update his import  and conversion
program.
>DX Log uses DB3.  Yes, I know that DX Log is antiquated compared to others
>and that I should switch.  But until I make that transition, I want to
keep
>my DX Log current and complete.  It contains over 100,000 QSOs, mostly
from
>DX.  Has anyone successfully done this conversion and import.  Will K8CC
>provide this needed data for your logging software?  I wish K8CC and K3PA
>could cooperate so I would not have this dilemma.

Bill,

I can see why Drew feels this way.  He wrote me a letter some time ago
asking for this information.  If I had it readily available (i.e., in a
single document I could just ship to Drew) I would have done so.  Instead,
I had to start pulling this information together and I wanted to be sure
that it was complete.  However, the task dragged on and nobody was asking
for it, so...the project slipped off the burner.

I never heard from Drew again so there was little impetus to make it a
priority.  The guys at DXBase figured it out on their own (with one phone
call to me) and I know N6TR has done the same so CQ can read .QDF files.
Its not that hard, but Drew makes me responsible.

Which is appropriate, I guess.  Bill, if you'll QSP Drew's e-mail address
I'll get in touch with him and we'll make this happen.  At the same time,
I wonder if Drew has supported ADIF, the Amateur Data Interchange Format?
The purpose of ADIF is expressly to allow transfer of data from one
program to another.  NA has supported ADIF since last June, that's the
filename.ADF file that gets written when you write you log to disk.
The capability may already be there to accomplish what you want to do.

73,

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering
datom@contesting.com