[na-user] SS Database, Check Partial

dap14@daimlerchrysler.com dap14@daimlerchrysler.com
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:00:29 -0500

K4JNY wrote:

>Is it a conflict of interest that the gentleman who writes the SS
>log checking software also writes the software that has all the
>exchange info in it???

I've not discussed this with Tree, but I'm pretty sure that the database gets
generated as part of the log submission.  By that I mean that the database is
created from the logs submitted.  Correct exchange information for a particular
station is taken from the summary sheet (can't get more "correct" than that).
Exchanges for stations that did not submit a log can be generated by "concensus"
- for example, if 100 guys copied "GA" as K4JNY's section and one guy copies
"PA", Georgia is almost certainly correct.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the database used for checking the
contest does not exist until after the contest is over.

I'd also like to make a point about partial call checking.  I've always been a
user of the partial call check feature, CHECKING AGAINST CALLS THAT ARE IN THE
LOG (i.e., guys I have already worked).  My gripe about super-check-partial
(where you're checking against a database) is that you're checking against calls
OTHER GUYS WORKED ON DIFFERENT WEEKENDS.  This always seemed unfair to me - I
figured I had a right to check against guys *I* had worked, but checking against
what amounts to other people's logs seemed wrong.  I got over it though - I use
super-check-partial now, but I don't feel it contributes materially to my score.

As for "user database", I won't use it personally.  If NA users want it, I'll
look at coding it but I rather work on other things.

73,

K8CC