[na-user] Re: Corrupted Country File

dap14@daimlerchrysler.com dap14@daimlerchrysler.com
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:19:21 -0500

To K6AW & All NA Users:

I have checked the COUNTRY.DAT file that is available from:

http://www.contesting.com/datom/country.dat

This file appears to work correctly.  I cannot determine the date on this file -
it shows 3-25-99 (i.e., today) so it must have been created at the time of the
download by NETSCAPE.

I downloaded the CTYZIP.ZIP file also, but my computer here at the office does
not have PKZIP so I cannot verify.  According to the note dated 3-23-99 from
AD1C, this is simply a ZIP'd version of the COUNTRY.DAT file so it should work
correctly.

Here's a way to test - start a DX contest file and watch how many possible
countries get loaded.  A "good" file will show 330+ countries, while a
"corrupted" file shows 750+ countries.  Once the file is loaded, type "E4" into
the callsign field and press F10 - the latest file will show "Palestine" as the
country for E4.

Good luck to all WPXers this weekend.  We will be full-gonzo multi-multi signing
KU8E from the K8CC station.

73,

Dave/K8CC