[na-user] DATOM Web Site QRV

k8cc k8cc" <k8cc@mediaone.net
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:39:00 -0500

I tried to post a note to the reflector last night explaining the status of
the DATOM web site (including NA download capability) but the message
bounced.  It said I was not recognized!  Let's try again.

Most of you have figured out that the server hosting the DATOM web site went
down late last week.  The timing was particularly poor as some folks needed
last minute upgrades for SS.  Starting Friday PM I would check e-mails every
hour up until a couple hours prior to the contest (excepting a reasonable
sleep period) and emergency e-mailed several 10.43s.  I also answered a few
phone calls.  Hopefully we were able to meet everyone's needs, however I
hope this is a lesson to us all and we'll get our upgrades earlier next time
and save our blood pressure.

When the site was restored, it apparently was done from a backup made almost
a month ago.  As a result, the site suddenly had 10.42 on it again rather
than 10.43.  Also, all registered users added since the backup could not get
into the web site and new NA Reflector subscribers (like me, having recently
switched ISPs) were being bounced.  Webmaster Tom, WB8VMN has been toiling
away to get the site back up to date, and I just got a note from him saying
this task is complete.  If you had access before, and can't get it now, drop
a note to datom@contesting.com and we'll straighten things out.  If you're
seeing this note, you're OK on the reflector.

We apologize for these problems.  The DATOM web site is hosted on the
contesting.com machine in Georgia and has been very reliable over the years.
Problems happen from time to time, but the Akorn folks got the machine back
up promptly and the disparities between the backups are now resolved. Thanks
for your patience.

73,

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering