[na-user] Cabrillo - pse explain

Ron Wetjen Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz@gte.net>
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 03:15:29 +0000

"Rich Dailey, KA8OKH" wrote:

> But could someone explain the meaning of the Cabrillo format
> to me?  I'm totally in the dark on this.

For those that missed this information last week, here's some info ...

The Cabrillo file format is the result of a joint effort by software
developers and contest sponsors in response to the proliferation of
file formats being submitted to various contest committees. For example,
in the 1999 ARRL Ten Meter Contest, several dozen different file formats
were submitted. While most formats technically fit the requirements
under the rules, almost all of the files required significant work by
contest staff and volunteers in order to be processed.

Working with the developers of most major logging software programs and
with the sponsors of most major contests, Trey Garlough, N5KO developed
the Cabrillo format. The major software developers have agreed to
incorporate the Cabrillo format into new updates of the programs.
Operators should contact the various software developers and
distributors for information on upgrades to their specific programs.

The Cabrillo format standardizes what information for each QSO will
appear in each column of data. For more detailed information on the
format, please refer to the "General Rules for all ARRL Contests" which
will appear in the November 1999 issue of QST. Also, the specifications
for the Cabrillo file format can be obtained on-line from:
http://www.kkn.net/~trey/cabrillo/ Besides the file specifications,
you may also view sample templates for various ARRL contests, a history
of any modifications to the format, and some insight into the
development of the Cabrillo file format.

73, Ron

--
One of the W1AW/4 Crew - IARU/WRTC-2000

WD4AHZ Homepage - http://www.qsl.net/wd4ahz