[na-user] SO2R & Big Plus Key

k8cc k8cc <k8cc@mediaone.net>
Tue, 07 Nov 2000 10:35:30 -0500

Roy,

There are several points I'd like to make concerning the point you raise:

First, one of the things NA users tell me they appreciate is that the
software is designed such that "a key is a key" - i.e., you press a key and
get a specific program function, regardless of some current program mode
that may or may not be intuitive to everyone.  For example, this is the
opposite of the way TRLog is designed, with function keys that change
definition as the program changes its "mode" on its own, depending on what
it "thinks" you're doing.  The one exception to this seems to be the
"Sprint Mode Logic" for sending Sprint exchanges (your call first or last)
which users for the most part think is pretty cool, once they've set it up
correctly.

The "big plus key" (i.e., the BPK) is the "Log and QRZ key".  CT invented
it and we followed the convention.

Second, your observation about pressing the BPK throwing you back to the
first radio is certainly correct.  However, I would offer that pressing the
BPK, or the return key for that matter, prior to receiving confirmation of
your exchange is bad practice.  If, for some reason the other station
cannot receive your exchange and says "SRI NO QSO" you now have a bogus QSO
in the log.  I've done this, but now have trained myself not to log the QSO
until the on-the-air activity to complete it is done.

As a somewhat related item to this, N6RT has offered the suggestion that in
the Sprint, after logging an SO2R QSO, most often you want to *stay* on
that radio to work (hopefully) the caller that will tailend.  Obviously,
this is a feature that only pertains to the Sprint, so an upcoming release
will have a program option called STAY ON ALTERNATE RADIO AFTER QSO that
the user can enable.

Third, you make the point that you occasionally need to send "something" on
the main radio to "hold
the callers" there.  This point was raised earlier this year by W6NL, which
is why F4 now sends your call on the main radio.  F1 and F4 now apply to
the main radio while making an SO2R QSO, which I think gives enough
capability in this situation.

73,

Dave/K8CC

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/