[na-user] CVB question

Scott Dickson, W5WZ Scott Dickson, W5WZ" <W5WZ@arrl.net
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 06:44:55 -0500

Here's another curious happening at W5WZ.

I normally run CVB and NA under Windows 98, and have been able to use the
features that I want to use.  The recent question about com ports and IRQs
got me to thinking about other "funnies" that I've run across.

If I boot to DOS, loading only the necessary drives for the SoundBlaster,
then try to run CVB, something really unexpected happens.
Upon typing CVB and pressing enter, the normal CVB messages indicate that
the program loaded successfully.  But, the prompt never returns.  If I then
press any key, a DOS type message appears:

General Drive Error
Abort, Retry, Fail, or Ignore

Selecting Abort or Fail will return a prompt.  Any other selection has no
affect.

Any ideas?  The only thing I can think of is that my hard disk uses FAT32
for the file system.

Again, everything works fine running in a DOS window under Win98.  Under
Win98, my configuration is:
COM 1 - CW keying or CVB interface
COM 2 - Rig control or RTTY via Kam+
LPT1 - If Com 1=CVB, then CW keying.

My desire to to get this computer set up to work in a pure DOS environment,
with 4 com ports and 2 printer ports so that I don't have to swap cables
around depending on the type of contest.

--Scott, W5WZ

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/