[na-user] Crash

Bob NX5M Bob NX5M <nx5m@alpha1.net>
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:49:40 -0600

> >I am using v10.52.
> >
> >When I entered my first VE callsign, as soon as I typed the "E", the
> >program crashed.  I kept trying to enter the call and it kept crashing.
> >I finally entered the callsign as VA and logged the qso.  Up arrowed and
> >changed the VA to VE and it was fine.
> >
> >A bit later, the same thing happened (VE5MX).  I ended up entering VA5MX
> >and then changing it to VE after the qso was logged.
> >
> >The contest ended and I was scratcing my head.  I entered VE and it DID
> >NOT crash.
> >
> >What was/is going on here?
Dave,
Please accept my apology for not putting in the information.
I intended to but was in a rush to make an engagement and just flat
forgot to include it.
Now I cannot find the paper with my notes.
I just went out to the station and restarted the computer and got back
into the original log.
I entered VE and it crashed.
Below are the answers to your questions.

> Bob,
>
> Sorry, but you did not give any info about how you were running the
> program, or the circumstances surrounding the crash other than it occurred
> on VE QSOs.  Obviously, NA is not designed to crash on every VE QSO.  I ran
> 10.52 in both SSB and CW NAQPs and never crashed in about 600 QSOs.  (This
> included an unknown number of VEs, but I'd guess a couple dozen on CW and
> at least a dozen on SSB.)  This was under DOS 6.22.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) How did it "crash"?  Did it simply lock up, or did it exit back to the
> prompt with some sort of error message?  If the latter, what was the error
> message?
This was an EXIT back to the prompt.
The error message:  Error 05 occurred in module SCR_OVL at address
39B1:21F5
			Hit any key to return to system.
I am also running NA under DOS 6.22.

> 2) What operating system?
The machine is a Dell 450SE running at 50 MHz.  This is the first time I
have ever had this problem.
Things ran flawlessly in the 10m contest.

> 3) How many QSOs in the log?
Only 50 qsos in the log.
As I mentioned, I just fired up the computer and started NA with the
NAQP log.
Entered V, then E <crash>.

> 4) Was AutoCheck turned on?  Was a call database (.DTA file) in use?
Autocheck is turned on and the DTA file I selected is very small...maybe
2000 calls.
However, this may be the problem.  I selected 4 other databases and the
only one that the program crashes with is the one I was using.  All
others are ok.  ONLY VE calls make it crater.
An interesting thing happened when I typed CALLDATABASE to make my
second selection of DTA files.
I got as far as CALLDATAB___ and the same thing happened.
This may just be a problem with a single DTA file so for now all else
may be ok.

Bob

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/