[NA-User] Icom 746, again

dap14@daimlerchrysler.com dap14@daimlerchrysler.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:20:37 -0500

Randy,

"Is there anyone out there who has successfully controlled an Icom 746
using
any 10.xx version of NA? I fooled around for two or three hours, changing
COM ports and doing all kinds of other things."

Personally, I know K8DD and K8MR are successfully running computer control
with their IC-746s.  Jim has even used his on 50 and 144 MHz.

"There's no documentation on how the radio driver is configured, and it's
hard coded in the NA.EXE file, so it's impossible to tell what parameters
are being assumed."

We're assuming the default CI-V ID of 56hex.

"Is it possible that NA doesn't assert DTR or RTS on the control port? I
know one
of them (can't remember which right now) is required to activate the W1GEE
interface I use. BTW, NA works just fine with a FT-1000D on any of the COM
ports that DOS recognizes using an MFJ interface that I believe uses the
same pin for device power."

NA asserts both pins if the COM port is selected for radio control just for
this reason.  There is one caveat, however - if CW keying is also selected
on that port these pins are not asserted because one pin is the CW output
and the other is the PTT output.

The fact that Windows programs can run the radio would tend to rule out
problems with the port itself.  I've had some computers (particularly
laptops) which can't drive the DTR/RTS lines high enough for proper
operation of radio interfaces.  The MFJ interfaces are particularly bad in
terms of the voltage needed - these use a zener/dropping resistor for the
regulated +5V rather than a low dropout three-terminal regulator.

"Did G3SJJ ever get his CVB running? I've had exactly the same problems he
describes. The DOS app that came with the SB16 card works perfectly but CVB

keeps saying it can't install the CTVOICE.DRV driver. Any updates?"

Are you using a PCI SB card?  The CTVOICE.DRV card has to be specific for
the SB card you have and I'm not sure that Creative Labs is supporting
their latest cards with this driver.

73,

Davee

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.