[NA-User] v10.57 Polling FT-1000MP

David A. Pruett k8cc@comcast.net
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:57:43 -0400

At 06:42 AM 8/26/02 -0400, Bob Patten wrote:
>In version 10.57, the polling frequency of the 1KMP is greatly decreased
>from all earlier versions to the point of being problematic.  Was there a
>reason for reducing the polling rate, or is this a side effect of some
>other fix or added feature?

Bob,

No, there was no reason for reducing the polling rate, nor is this a side
effect of some other fix or added feature.  All that leaves is a
programming screw-up...

All of the timed features in NA work off one function which reads the
computer's master clock and get's blipped 18.2 times per second.  I had
heard reports of problems with timing on things like the CQ-repeat
interval.  This past FD, I saw the problem with the DVK repeat time and
even spent some effort trying to debug it (I was the VHF op and hence had
lots of time on my hands, plus the logging computer was my NA programming
laptop) but did not make any progress.  I did not notice the slower radio
polling, either on FD or during any of the other contests I've run recently.

This bugged me so tonite, using Bob's note as a clue I started
experimenting.  If computer radio control is turned off, the CW and SSB
repeat delays are correct - with computer radio control is turned ON, the
repeat delays are doubled.  Again, since all of the timing is coming from
one source in the program, its reasonable to assume that somehow this is
what is causing the polling interval to double.

I have not yet found the source of the problem, but with this important
clue I now know where to look.  I wanted to respond to Bob's note to
confirm what he was seeing, and to let everyone know we're working on it.

In case anyone was wondering, the radio polling intervals for non-Yaesu
radios is once per second.  Yaesus are once every three seconds because I
found that the !&@$&#%^ CATS light on the display (which blinks every time
the radio receives a command) was too annoying at once per second.  When
SO2R, each radio is polled at its own rate so the interval is not stretched
out.

We should have this fixed soon.  Thanks for N4BP for his observation about
the polling interval, and also to K6NA for his note about the repeat delay.

Dave/K8CC