[NA-User] All Asian DX Contest

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Jun 4 10:44:06 EDT 2005

I want to thank Bob Pack for researching this.  I am up to my ears in 2005
MI QSO Party logs right now.

This discussion is a good exercise how "the devil is in the details" and
what does the user expect when it comes to programming a software application.

The initial observation was the need for band-related point scoring to
match the AA values.  This is pretty easy to do, and as I said before it
would be low risk (i.e., it wouldn't require a lot of testing to be sure it
didn't break something else).

Making non-Asian QSOs zero points is also not difficult.  If you're not in
Asia, make non-Asian QSOs = 0.

Where it gets messy is the requirement that only Asian prefixes are
multipliers.  Evaluating it is not the hard part - NA can parse the prefix
and ID the country (and hence the continent), but it's setting up the code
to tie the two together logically (which we don't do now).

This is where the user's expectations come in.  If the user will decide not
to log non-Asians then the need for that code goes away.

I suppose this discussion makes me look like a lazy programmer, but it's
really just pragmatism.  AA is not all that popular the further east you go
and coding in "contest-specific" rules is an exercise in "effort vs. benefit".

73,

Dave