[Nodxa] (AF8C) More news on computer security threats

Williams, G (AF8C) af8c at arrl.net
Sat Jun 30 21:32:11 EDT 2007

----------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:01 PM Subject: LCCUG Security Alert: bogus
Microsoft email threat

Note from LCCUG: We thought this was important enough that we should warn
all of our members:

Don't touch that Microsoft Security Bulletin email

By John Oates

Published Thursday 28th June 2007 12:15 GMT

Do not be tempted into opening an email with the subject line: "Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS07-0065"
because it is no such thing.

The email is not from Microsoft and contains a link to a webpage containing
a trojan (disguised
malware). The emails contain real people's names and the company they work
for and looks like a genuine
Microsoft email.

The mail looks pretty convincing and includes Microsoft and Windows logos.
It claims that a zero-day
vulnerability has been found that would allow hackers to get into machines
running Outlook. The mail
claims 100,000 machines have already fallen foul of the vulnerability.

There's more from Sophos here.
(http://sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2007/06/bogusmspatch.html)

Graham Cluely, senior tech consultant for Sophos, said the attempted attack
actually showed there was
increased awareness of computer security because hackers are now using
social engineering to take
advantage of this improved understanding.

He said: "The irony is that as awareness of computer security issues has
risen, and the need for
patching against vulnerabilities, so social engineering tricks that pose as
critical software fixes are
likely to succeed in conning the public."®

Original URL: http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/28/outlook_bug_isnot/