[Nodxa] (AF8C) BOGUS ARRL EMAIL INVITATION

Williams, G (AF8C) af8c at arrl.net
Sat Mar 31 07:22:48 EST 2007

Do not follow instructions in bogus "arrl.net user support team" e-mails
(Mar 30, 2007) -- The ARRL is alerting members -- and especially users of
the ARRL E-Mail Forwarding Service -- about bogus e-mails that claim to be
from the "arrl.net user support team." There is no such entity, and the
messages do not originate with ARRL but appear to be coming from outside
the US. Recipients should not follow the instructions in the e-mail, which
reads, "We have received reports that your e-mail account has been used to
send a large amount of unsolicited commercial email messages during this
week. We suspect that your computer had been infected by a recent virus and
now contains a hidden proxy server. We recommend you to follow our
instructions in order to keep your computer safe." Following the
instructions will have the opposite effect, however, infecting your
computer with the MyDoom Trojan worm and making it part of a spamming
network. The League urges all members to invest in and use anti-virus
software.
NNNN