[Nodxa] 2007 Field Day Results

John Papay john at papays.com
Sat Nov 10 13:20:48 EST 2007

The ARRL has published the results from Field Day 2007.
NODXA placed third in 2A Ohio.  W8AV and W8AL placed
first and second in 2A. CARS, W8BM, was first in 8A Ohio.
Overall, we were number 12 in Ohio regardless of class.

CARS beat us in total points this year.  This was probably
due to more CW contacts than us.  We probably were about
the same in bonus points although we cannot ascertain that
since the results don't have that detail.

                 CARS            NODXA
Total Pts       6566            5970
Total QSO's     1573            1754
Category        8A              2A

Our CW total qsos were 606, phone was 1148. If we had just
149 more CW QSO's, we would have had 596 additional points
and that would have given us a score of 6566 equaling the CARS
score.  This shows how important it is to have the CW station
going at all times if possible.

Just running the numbers on the CARS score, if we both had the
same number of bonus points, 1250, they would have had to have
1085 of their 1573 qso's on CW.  If they were able to get more
bonus points, that 1085 number could be lower.  The only bonus
points we did not get was having our field day site in a "public
location" such as a shopping mall etc.  We also did not have
any under 18 year old operators which could have earned us 20
points per operator up to a max of 100 points.  Neither CARS
or NODXA had a GOTA station.  We had only one, non-traditional,
demonstration, APRS.  We could have had two more and earned
another 200 points.

But considering that we had 26 operators vs. CARS 40 operators
and that we had only 2 transmitters on HF vs. their 8, we did
very well. Thanks to all who participated.  Please consider
coming out next year!

John K8YSE

John Papay
john at papays.com