[Nodxa] Upcoming Malpelo Island DXpedition

Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) kb8nw at barf80.nshore.org
Thu Aug 4 17:38:12 PDT 2011

Please read the following info. There will be a discussion
on this DXpedition next meeting..... 73 de Tedd KB8NW

Dear DXers,

As you know, the long awaited activation of Malpelo Island is scheduled
for the late January/early February of 2012.  Malpelo Island is
currently ranked # 11 world-wide among the most needed DXCC entities!
This 2012 Dxpedition will be led by Jorge, HK1R and include six
Colombian operators and ten foreign operators representing eight
countries.  Included are three members of the CQ DX Hall of Fame….DJ9ZB,
K4UEE and K5YY.   SEE: www.hk0na.com  for a complete list of operators.

The last major operation from Malpelo Island was in 1990, although there
have been several short visits to the island since. Our QSO goal is to
exceed the total number of QSOs made by all the previous DXpeditions
combined.  That should give everyone a good shot a putting HK0NA is
their log on several bands and modes.

The team will be QRV on 160m-6m, CW, SSB, and Digital modes.  Elecraft
will be supplying the team with seven K3 transceivers and several of
their new KPA 500 amplifiers.  Alpha will supply some of their High
Power 8410’s amplifiers for use on the low bands and DX Engineering will
supply many of the antennas to be used. We plan to have two operating
sites and 6-7 stations QRV on open bands/modes. Our antennas will be
strategically deployed to maximize our signal and to ensure DXers
worldwide will have an opportunity to QSO us. We expect to dedicate one
antenna solely to Asia as that direction is usually blocked by a
mountain top.

Sixteen team members will take three weeks off work and away from home
and pay all their transportation costs to Colombia and back. The team is
hopeful that the DX community at large will contribute the remainder of
the needed funds.  This includes contributions from DX foundations, DX
clubs, corporate sponsors and individual DXers.

So, please consider a generous contribution to this project. To have
your club or organization’s logo included on our QSL card please
contribute $500 or more; or $250 to have your club’s name included on
the QSL card.  Individual contributions of $100 or more will be listed
on our QSL card.  Everyone who supports the DXpedition will be listed
and properly thanked on our website.

We encourage you to visit the Malpelo 2012 DXpedition website
(www.hk0na.com) and donate via the PayPal link. It’s free and easy. You
can contribute with a major credit card, AND you don’t even have to have
a PayPal account to do it! If that is not convenient, you may print the
contribution from provided on our website and mail a check or money order.

If you choose to use the mail, be sure all checks are made payable to:
Bob Allphin. And, remember to indicate on the "for" line: “Malpelo
Island 2012”.
Please mail all contributions to:
Bob Allphin, K4UEE
4235 Blackland Dr.
Marietta, Ga. 30067

--
Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW - kb8nw at barf80.nshore.org --or-- kb8nw at arrl.net
Editor of the "Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin" (OPDX - "DXer's Tool of Excellence")