[Nodxa] Fw: How to loosen rusted hardware . . .

R.T.Liddy k8bl at ameritech.net
Mon Apr 6 21:08:09 EDT 2015

With the WX breaking and thoughts turning to antenna work, here's some good infoon loosening rusted hardware. Hope it helps!   - Bob, K8BL
   Link to article with additional info: http://chickenroadlabs.com/2013/06/13/diy-penetrating-oil/

       How to loosen rusted hardware                               You Mechanics. . . . .                “Machinist’s Workshop” recently  published information on various  penetrating oils. The  magazine reports they tested these  products for “break out “torque” on rusted nuts and bolts. A  subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the  unit of merit being the torque  required to remove the nut  from a “scientifically rusted” bolt.  Average torque load to loosen  nut:
   No Oil used ……………………516  foot pounds
 WD-40 ………………… ……..238 foot  pounds
 PB Blaster …………………….214  foot pounds
 Liquid Wrench ………………….127  foot pounds
 Kano Kroil  …………………….106 foot pounds
 ATF/Acetone mix…………………. 53  foot pounds     The ATF/Acetone mix is a “home  brew” mix of 50/50 automatic  transmission fluid and  acetone. Note this “home brew” released  bolts better than any commercial product in this one  particular test.
 Our local machinist  group mixed up a batch, and we all now use  it with equally good  results. Note also that Liquid Wrench  is almost as good as Kroil  for 20% of the price. ATF/Acetone  mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in  a50/50 mix. ATF = Any type of Automatic  Transmission Fluid.      This version of the story was in  one of the Military Vehicle Club  newsletters

|   |
| DIY Penetrating OilI make my own penetrating oil at home using a mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid.  This seems to be, by far, the best penetrating oil I hav... |
|  |
| View on chickenroadlabs.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |