[Nodxa] contesting.com mailing list changes

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon May 14 19:55:39 EDT 2018

 Below is a change in policy applying to all contesting.com mailing lists, including the NODXA list.

As a member and one of the moderators of the NODXA list I've not had issues with my postings being rejected. However, I have received occasional approval requests, typically from somebody who is subscribed to the list but who submits from a different address. (We also get pure spam requests, which get rejected).

As I read this, if you submit a post from a non-subscribed address, you will no longer received a "waiting for approval" message. You'll just have nothing happen. So if you don't see a posting go through, check the address from which you posted, and try again from your subscribed address.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This past weekend we migrated the lists to a new host due to some
unavoidable hosting shuffles. Despite a few minor bumps, everything
appears to be working fine. If you notice any issues please let me know.

Due to the change in hosting we are now on a different IP address. This
forces us to re-establish our IP reputation, which was excellent and
earned over many years.

Despite following all the important best practices for managing lists,
one of the nagging issues that we never fixed was the issue of
backscatter spam. This type of spam is caused by non-members being able
to post to lists, even if the lists are moderated. Mailman responded to
each post telling the sender that their post is being held. That is the
source of spam since there was no validation of the sender.

It is now impossible for non-members to post to any list - more
importantly, such posts will be silently dropped. This is necessary to
avoid accumulating backscatter spam and having the host reported as a
source of spam. While this might be slightly inconvenient, I see no
valid reason to change this policy. If someone complains that their post
(or worse, a cross-post) did not reach your list, simply tell that
person to subscribe to the list and try again. If they don't wish to
receive a lot of email they can always set their subscription to "no
mail" or digest.