[Nodxa] Covid info, Field Day Host

john at papays.com john at papays.com
Thu Jan 21 11:50:19 EST 2021

There has been lots of talk about the Covid situation here in
Northeastern Ohio and I thought it would be good to share some
information that may be discussed on the net tonight.

A while ago Wayne mentioned signing up for info on a Geauga County
website.  I found a similar thing on the Cuyahoga County Health Dept.
website where you could put in your info including age and zip code,
preferred day of the week etc. to receive the vaccine.  The county would
then contact you when a vaccine was available in your area.  I did that
and so far have not received any update.

WB8K mentioned the VA and they had a sign up for getting info on the
availability of the vaccine but it wasn't to schedule anything.  So far
there has been no activity that I'm aware of that the VA has vaccine and
is administering it, at least not for my age group.

Today I went on the State of Ohio website, https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/
 and found more information.  You can enter your zip code and find
locations near you that will be administering the vaccine.  In 44133
there were only 2 listings, Giant Eagle and Discount Drug Mart (DDM).
The link to DDM was easy to reach and sign up to be notified when
appointments are available.  They will call you or text you.  You select
the DDM location and a radius if your location cannot be scheduled.  An
email is sent soon after acknowledging your signup.

The Giant Eagle site puts you in a queue which goes by quickly and then
you are re-directed to the signup website.  You enter your zip.  But
when I entered 44133, the site responded that there were no Giant Eagle
locations within 15 miles.  That was the end of thatT

he Cleveland Clinic says that it is calling those patients over 80 to
schedule an appointment when vaccine is available.  If you have a
Mychart account, you will be notified when appointments are available
when you sign into your account.   The Clinic will only be giving
vaccines at their hospital locations, Cleveland, Fairview, Hillcrest,
Medina, Akron and Dover.  No vaccines at their other many locations.

So that is what I found out today.  Hope it helps..

UPDATE ON MT AUGUSTINE CARE FACILITY (OUR FIELD DAY SITE)

As you probably know, Father Elmer Marquard, WB8YYD, is a resident at
Mt. Augustine.  A few weeks ago he reported to me that they had 4
residents pass away from Covid in his wing.  He said they sealed off the
area.  There were no more cases of Covid after that.  Residents are
restricted to their rooms; they get their meals delivered.
Socialization is not permitted.  They can get exercise but only with
staff and no contact with other residents.  The good news is that the
State has given the vaccine (both doses) to the residents that wanted
it.  85% got the vaccine, 15% refused for various reasons.

Four of my satellite friends have had the Covid and survived without
going to the hospital,  HP2VX, WA5KBH, N4UFO and F4DXV.  One of them is
a cancer patient and has had chemo recently.  Why some survive despite
age and pre-existing conditions is a medical mystery.

I hope this information was helpful.  Stay safe and healthy.

73 and good luck in the contest

John K8YSE