[Nodxa] Covid info, Field Day Host

KE8G ke8g.jim at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 15:25:02 EST 2021

Hi All,
As most of y'all know, we have a second home in the Houston, TX area and
spend our winters down here.  We were fortunate enough to take advantage of
Texas' 1A & 1B program classifications; 1B is 65 and older and where we fit
it.

We registered on the Harris County website last week and on Saturday, Jan
16th, the XYL and I had 3:30 appointments.  We were told to show up an hour
early to a specific parking lot at Minute Maid Stadium to fill out the
required paperwork.  We got there as scheduled; only to find out that the
parking lot was filled and we would need to park in a private lot and pay,
then get to the end of the line.  (they changed the process midstream)!
So, we pull in the lot, pay the cheap parking fee ($3.00) and go to get in
line.  After walking 3/4 of the way around Minute Maid Stadium, we find the
end and start moving with the crowd.  To make a long story short, they get
us into stadium seating at 3:30 and say, "it'll be a little while and
someone will pass out the paperwork) and you will be taken.  At 4:45 we
finally get the paperwork, wait some more and then finally our section gets
taken to the "injection station line" where we are broken into smaller
groups to wait for the actual injection.  We finally get the injection
around 6:00, have to wait for the allotted 15 minutes, then we are allowed
to leave.  We are grateful to actually have gotten the vaccine, but the
process was somewhat bothersome, if I was still in the military, I would
call it a CF!

One of our friends had an appointment an hour after ours, they got to the
stadium earlier than needed (I called him and told to get there ASAP to get
in line) and stood in line, only to be told after 2 hours they ran out of
the vaccine.  He said, "but I have an appointment with the proper
verification number, how could you run out, if everyone needed an
appointment and you knew how many injections you could give."  He was told,
"the people who showed up in the early morning, brought family members who
weren't registered and didn't have an appointment, but we gave them the
vaccine anyway, we knew we would run out!"  Then they asked for his
appointment paperwork and told him they would call him to reschedule!

As I said, we are grateful to receive ours, but sure do feel sorry for
people like our friend, who did the right thing, but got screwed over by
the games played.

Hope y'all can get the vaccine without any problems!

I just found out my inlaws, (90+ years old) received theirs this afternoon
and have an appointment for the second dose already made, this is through
SouthWest General Hospital in Middleburg Heights, we made the appointments
for them via the hospital's website on Monday morning when it came live.

73 de Jim - KE8G