[Nodxa] QRZ issues with QSO confirmations for awards

Glenn Williams af8c at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 14 09:11:04 EDT 2023

Hi,

I love to comment on what software engineers assume or don't assume!

1. (Presuming) Somewhere, either in the LoTW world upload or in the QRZ
world download from LoTW, there's a field that is populated with old
data from a previous transaction.  I.e. the software does not clear out
all fields before each transaction. So the old data gets loaded into the
next transaction as bad data.

2. One or both of those systems, or maybe TQSL, could preload the county
field with a value that is known to be either blank or "EMPTY" which
would be data that the remaining system(s) could decode and use as valid
data.  I.e. "EMPTY" would provide useful instead of wrong information.

3. You take the ugly route and manually add a real or fake county field
into your ADI file line before the LoTW upload.  If you know how to
code, you could write a preprocessor to use for each ADI file before
uploading into LoTW. However that last part is a problem if you have to
manually look up the county in QRZ for each ADI text file line.  But
with XML access into QRZ the field could be automatically filled
during preprocessing?

--73, Glenn, AF8C