[Orion] FSK on the Orion

George Skoubis george.skoubis at verizon.net
Tue Apr 13 23:12:37 EDT 2004

Bill,

  I had the same experience the other day. I just received my Orion last
week and had built my interface to connect the computer, FSK, voice
keying, CW keying, ect.

  I was trying to work YI9ZF on FSK and turned the amp up to 1000 watts
and he still wasn't coming back to me.  After a while he started
transmitting agn agn when my transmission stopped, then he said "send
your call four or five times", when I finished he came back to me and
said I was 599 but transmitting inverted...

  I found the Mark High setting in the menu and enabled it.  I'm
wondering if they default to Mark Low for Omni VI+ owners who built
their interfaces differently than the "normal" method to make their FSK
work "right side up".

  Of course I switched my interface circuit board around before hooking
it up to the Orion since I KNEW the Orion wouldn't key the same way...

  At least we get the choice on the Orion and "no harm, no foul"...

  As long as we're on the subject of FSK, does the short article on
working RTTY with an Orion on the rfsquared website still work?  I'm
wondering if that wasn't written before the FSK change since I've been
able to work stations without changing my PBT to +1960 etc...

  I haven't tried setting the receive and transmit as suggested yet
(since I just found the page today) but didn't want to make any more
mistakes without asking those of you who have had your Orions for a
while!

Thanks,

George / KF9YR