[Orion] Re: [1000mp] Mark v compared to the Orion

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Sat Apr 17 10:12:12 EDT 2004

I am in the midst of comparing my vintage MP vs. my Orion, but I am
reluctant to make any final conclusions until I'm confident that I've
mastered the proper use and interactions associated with the AGC and RF
gain settings.  My comparisons will be primarily on CW.  My preliminary
impressions are that the MP compares quite favorably with the Orion on
sensitivity and copyability of weak CW signals on 30, 40 and 80M.

I haven't really reliably compared selectivity.  My MP has all the
available stock Yaesu filters.  At this time my subjective sense is that
the Orion may have an edge here, but I don't have any KW signals across
town to contend with.

73, Joe