[Orion] AGC/NR Interaction?

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Wed Dec 1 15:32:02 EST 2004

Gary, thanks for your input.  What you describe may be a part of what I
am seeing.  Last night I was on 30M and I set the threshold at an
acceptable noise level and then activated the NR.  It seemed that both
the noise and the signal increased by the same amount.  In other words,
there was no change in S/N; everything just got louder.  It was as if
the NR setting was negating the AGC threshold setting.

However, on another occasion, under what appeared to be similar
conditions, I obtained the expected quieting from the NR when there was
either a signal or no signal present.  I am not sure what was different
about the two conditions.  I kept playing with the NR and threshold
settings for a while on various signals, but I couldn't identify a
consistent pattern of behavior.  (I should add that i am running the RF
gain wide open and that I'm still using the N4PY interface.)  I'll do
some more experimenting tonight.

I also operated 80M CW during the test.  Unfortunately, I was too lazy
to compare my FTKMP with the new 4 KHz roofing filter with the Orion and
just used the Orion exclusively.  Nevertheless, it was my distinct
impression that I had very few problems with QRM from sigs on
neighboring frequencies and no signs of overload or IMD or the like.

73, Joe