[Orion] 1.372 Headphone Distortion w Strong Signals

Larry Rockfield w6ub at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 4 09:45:59 EST 2004

Would others please check for this condition and reply:

With Version 1.372, I have headphone audio distortion from the main receiver
on strong local signals in the range of 59+40 dB and above.  The speaker has
no distortion under the same operating conditions.

Prior to Version 1.372, the S-meter stopped in the vicinity of 59+35 dB,
regardless of signal strength.  With this new version, the meter will
actually hit the stops at 59+60 dB.  Ten-Tec has: "Fixed S-Meter routine to
correctly show signals greater than +35 dBm."

The headphones are Heil Pro-Set Plus and additional resistance padding is
often used to help suppress QSK keying clicks.  So, I doubt the headphones
are the problem. Master Reset and RAM-CLEAR have not helped.

Thanks,
Larry  W6UB